Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Borax Crystals Part I

Lots of other moms on MDC were making borax crystals and other assorted types of crystal, so I figured we could try it too. The boys had no idea what I was talking about, but like to help out in the kitchen, so they pulled up their chairs and waited while I got everything ready.I made a snowflake shape. Aleks helped trim the ends and got the pencil and string out. Here he's holding it up, though you can't see it well.
Bastian helps pour three cups of boiling water into our wide-mouthed mason jar.
Then Bastian and I added in 9 tablespoons of Borax.
Aleks stirred the mixture with a chopstick.
Bastian added blue food coloring.
He had a hard time squeezing the bottle, so Aleks helped him out to get a few drops in.
We put the snowflake form in, hung with string and wrapped around a pencil.
Then we placed the jar up where no one would bother it for 24 hours.

See the results in Borax Crystals Part II

No comments: