Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Troll

For Aleks' birthday, I got Bastian a troll, a Minotaur, and Cerberus, the three-headed dog from Greek mythology:
the watchdog who guards the entrance to the lower world, the Hades. It is a child of the giant Typhon and Echidna, a monstrous creature herself, being half woman and half snake.

Originally, the dog was portrayed having fifty or hundred heads but was later pictured with only three heads (and sometimes with the tail of a serpent). Cerberus permitted new spirits to enter the realm of dead, but allowed none of them to leave. Only a few ever managed to sneak past the creature, among which Orpheus, who lulled it to sleep by playing his lyre, and Heracles, who brought it to the land of the living for a while (being the last of his Twelve Labors).

The need for a present for Bastian is the same reason I have to buy two of everything now that I have two children with similar likes and interests. It gets expensive.

It's a good thing I got them though, as both boys love them. Aleks drew the troll (which really I think is supposed to be an ogre, but we like trolls) while looking at it, which is a first, I believe. Googling it, I discovered that trolls and ogres are somewhat similar.

His observation skills were very nice. I love his artwork.


While in Dayton, my mother reminded me that some boys called me Troll in school. I had forgotten all about that. At first, I thought it was in high school and was developed by friends of mine (and really, that sounds like something they might have done), but now I recall that it was Richard Hadler in fourth or fifth grade. The jerk.

No comments: